A DUI arrest is an involved process that requires an officer adhering to strict rules and regulations regarding initial stops and testing procedures. At the Rosenstein Law Group, our lawyers assert the rights of those arrested on suspicion of drunk driving.
DUI Arrest Lawyer in Tempe
Like many Arizona cities, Tempe has an unofficial "DUI Squad," a team of law enforcement officers who focus on drunk driving arrests. That focus brings in significant revenue to the respective municipality, upping the ante for numerous arrests. These officers are familiar faces in the courtroom when our clients are facing Tempe DUI charges.
By honing in on possible drunk drivers leaving bars or driving late into the evening, an officer pulling you over could be in a rush to judgment. Finding out why the police pulled our clients over is a significant piece of evidence that can make or break a case.
Know Your Rights
After stopping you, speaking to you and observing your actions, Tempe police officers will often conduct field sobriety tests (also called balancing tests), eye tests and hand-held breath tests (using a portable breath test device, or PBT). Officers must be well trained to conduct any of these important measurements. The simplest of errors on their part could have catastrophic results on your record. If an officer believes that you have a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of more than .08, he or she will arrest you, and a breath test will be conducted.
At the Rosenstein Law Group, we want all clients to be aware of the following "do's and don'ts":
- Politely ask to speak to a criminal defense lawyer.
- Provide the officer with your driver's license, registration and proof of insurance upon request.
- Refuse any requests for field sobriety and eye tests without first speaking to an attorney.
- Assert your Miranda rights, specifically the right to remain silent.
- Agree to blood, breath and urine tests AFTER calling a lawyer, unless it delays the investigation.
- Request preservation of test samples for subsequent independent testing.
- Politely demand to be released for an independent chemical test.
Contact a Tempe Arrest Lawyer for a Free Initial Consultation
Contact us 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 480-248-7666 to request a free initial consultation with a Tempe DUI arrest lawyer. We will provide you the information you need about the next steps after a DUI arrest in Tempe.
Related Content: Tempe DUI Attorney